Welcome to NakedTomatoes

All about tomatoes, heirloom and home grown.
With a bit extra thrown in about Brugs and bread, growing and baking, and other semi-relevant thoughts. And maybe a few recipes.

Thursday, March 27, 2008

A Tomato

Just a few things I forgot to post earlier.




Almost anything can be used for seed starting. Inside this old strawberry container are some Sweet Basil seeds, just sprinkled on the top of the soil, as they need light for germination. And obviously you need basil to go with tomatoes. Especially if you like "Summer in a Bowl", which is absolutely scrumptious, any way you make it.

Galina, after her haircut. I'm not a wasteful gardener, (have I mentioned my packrat tendencies yet??) so I dipped the little side shoots that I pruned off in a bit of No.1 rooting hormone, and potted them up. Tomatoes root very easily, so I should have another 7 little Galinas in a short while if all goes well. I didn't have anything that remotely resembles a greenhouse dome cover that would fit over the cuttings, so we'll see how well the cuttings do. I may try to improvise something (such as cleaned out milk bags held up with popsickle sticks - motherhood being the necessity of invention, and all! or in this case, would you call it planthood? There's a topic in itself, Planned Planthood - I am severely lacking in plant control, apparently!




Galina, with her flowers. Notice that tiny little green egg shaped thing in the background.




A tomato!!! My daughter, Meg (5), the affirmed tomato junkie of the house, called dibs already! Sorry!!!


1 comment:

chey said...

A tomato growing in March! How wonderful. Nice to see another Canadian gardening blog. Cheers!