Welcome to NakedTomatoes

All about tomatoes, heirloom and home grown.
With a bit extra thrown in about Brugs and bread, growing and baking, and other semi-relevant thoughts. And maybe a few recipes.

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Being a Snoop

Are you a snoopy person? When it comes to my plants, I am. I do all sorts of things that I know I am not supposed to. But how else can you tell if your seeds are germinating, if you don't poke around? How else can you tell what the root system your brug is looking like, if you don't pull the plant out of the pot, and poke around? I do realize if I would only show a little patience, then I'd see proof positive of seed germination - as in the little tomato heads. Patience may be a virtue, but it ain't one of mine.
And if I didn't go snooping around, I wouldn't have this picture of this tiny little seedling emerging to share. That little brown thing with the white tail in the middle of the picture is a baby 'Bloody Butcher'. And yes, I am growing them partly because of the name, but they are also supposed to be a pretty good tomato. An early (50 - 60 days), high yeilding, potato leaf indeterminate that produces 4-6 oz tomatoes. We'll see if it lives up to its reputation in my garden this summer.

I also have a Cherokee Purple just poking its nose out, and a few others. That's right on track, as most of these trays of seeds were sown 3 to 5 days ago. Still have many more flats to do, and I need to drag in another greenhouse shelf unit from my shed, to accommodate them.

I am toying with the idea of wintersowing some as well. I had never tried it until this year (some hosta seeds), but I've heard very good things about the method. That would be an interesting comparison to make between my indoor starts, and outdoor wintersown ones. There is an excellent website, Wintersown, for some excellent pointers. I came across a small container of tomato seed the other day, that has no label, and of course I have absolutely no idea what they are! Remember what I said about labeling your seeds?? I do know that I wanted to save them, just not what they are, so they would make a good sacrificial seed to the wintersowing project.



My list of what's been planted so far:
  1. Zigan
  2. Silvery Fir Tree
  3. Bloody Butcher
  4. Moscovitch
  5. Brandywine (Sudduth)
  6. Japanese Black Trifele
  7. Pruden's Purple
  8. Cherokee Purple
  9. Kellogg's Breakfast
  10. Pink Brandywine
  11. Pineapple
  12. Mortgage Lifter
  13. Neves Azorean Red
  14. Black from Tula
  15. Vova Yellow
  16. Orange Jubilee
  17. Palmira's Italian Heirloon
  18. Rhoades Heirloom
  19. Moscow Suburb
  20. Siberian
  21. Blue
I grew 1, 15, 16, 17, and 18 last summer, all the rest are new to me. Should be an interesting summer!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OMG, I can't wait to start eating fresh tomatoes! I've already started pre-sprouting some Bonnie Best, Cherokee Purple and mixed color tomato seeds. The Cherokee Purple sprouted in two days and the Bonnie Best and mixed color are right behind!

This year my list includes:
Aunt Ruby's German Green
Big Beef
Black from Tula
Black Pear
Black Plum
Blondkopfchen
Bonny Best
Canabec Rose
Cherokee Purple
Colour Mixture
Earliest and Best
Eva Purple Ball
Gardener's Delight
Green Zebra
Juliet
Mirabelle Blanche
Mosco
Old Flame
Opalka
Prudens Purple
Rouge D'Irak
Sweetie

I'm trying to get some Box Car Willie too. I don't know where I'll put them all!

I'm looking forward to seeing how your Japanese Black Trifele and Kellog's Breakfast tomatoes grow!