Welcome to NakedTomatoes

All about tomatoes, heirloom and home grown.
With a bit extra thrown in about Brugs and bread, growing and baking, and other semi-relevant thoughts. And maybe a few recipes.

Thursday, July 3, 2008

Quick July Update

A happy little bee, and one of the reasons why I needed to bag the flowers (and didn't!) As I watched this little bee, he visited more than ten different tomato plants. Cross pollination at work! I keep telling myself there is still time to bag them, but I'm starting to think I am lying to myself!


Peaches n Cream :
variegated brugs tend to grow at a slower rate.
This one has been proving that for the last three years!



Cherokee Purple




Black Plum



Surprise Potato Patch



Frosty Pink:
Won't be much longer!


The garden and the plants are running amock. This would include the weeds, that I really should be out pulling right now, but have been putting off this post for much too long! We have had so much rain in my area for the last four weeks. And enough sun, when it comes out, that it balances out nicely, and everything seems to have double in size in the last week while I was away!
There are many little tomatoes forming on the plants, the brugs are loading up with flower buds, and I've even found a surprise potato patch in the brug bed. I got confirmation from some other gardeners, that potatoes can indeed overwinter in my zone, given the right conditions. So some little taters that were not found last fall have sprouted up into a very healthy vigorous looking potato patch.

2 comments:

Matron said...

So glad I've found you! Just come back from a vacation in Quebec and wanted to identify a beefsteak tomato I bought in the old Market in Quebec City. I have just posted a picture. Can you help?

sammy said...

Hi. It's really hard to identify a tomato from a picture like that. There are so many thousands of varieties out there, it would be almost impossible. It would probably be one of the more common beefsteaks that the big commercial growers grow, probably a hybrid.

I did grow Cannabec Rose this summer (was given to me by a friend) and I think I saved a fair amount of seeds from it. It was one of my more productive plants, although the tomatoes weren't anything particularly special. Not like Black Cherry, or an unknown large orange, which were deemed pretty fantastic by the taste testers here.