Welcome to NakedTomatoes

All about tomatoes, heirloom and home grown.
With a bit extra thrown in about Brugs and bread, growing and baking, and other semi-relevant thoughts. And maybe a few recipes.

Thursday, April 10, 2008

My legal grow op

Here's a look at my growing/seedling station. I finally got it set up the other day, although it is still looking a bit messy. Ignore that, please. It's certainly not very sophisticated, and someday I'd like to build something fancier, but for now it works. The windows in the background are south facing, so there is a lot of sunlight during the day. The back door is two steps to the left of these windows, making the trek to the big outdoors fairly easy. The middle shelf you see in the picture has a twin outside that has a nice plastic cover, that zippers in the front and at the top, for easy access and ventilation. According to my thermometers in the greenhouse shelves, it gets up to a toasty 25 + C in the sun, even when it's only 5C in the real outdoors. The weather has been nice enough that my trays have been outside quite often.



The top shelf has a stick light on each side, and one of those hand held construction type lights hanging in the middle. The second shelf has a shop light suspended from the top. One thing that bugs me is the shop lights are four feet long, the shelf is only three. So to make it work, the light extends onto the wooden shelf to the right, where there is a very small tray of tomato seedlings growing.
If I ever get to building something, it will be four feet to accommodate shoplights. And then I'll have to get some more lights to make it work!

I do have a birthday coming up, and so far my list has two things on it. Worms and shoplights. I've been thinking about vermiculture, and it is such a great idea. Just not totally sure where I would put the worm bin. Shoplights would spur me on to building a more workable seed starting set up, and not just the hodge podge that I have now. But for now this works.

The snow has been melting at an incredible rate, and the ground is actually workable. I guess because the snow hit early and didn't stop, the ground didn't actually get a chance to freeze as deeply as it usually does over the winter. After working over the soil, I'm gonna start building one low greenhouse over the first square 5x5 raised bed that I have, and monitor the temperatures. I'm not sure what it'll be like overnight in there, but I have some ideas on how to keep it warm. I was thinking of spray painting these big plastic containers black, and filling them with water. Theory being the sun during the day will heat them up, and then at night, they will release the heat, keeping it warm enough for the plants.


Well, I've still got plenty of seeds to get planted. I'm starting to feel like I'm running late now. There is always so much to do, and so little time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a great space! My indoor seed sowing is confined to the living room and dining area. I try to keep it as tidy as I can but there's always a bucket of seed starting mix beside the coffee table, a flat of peppers and tomatoes on a heating mat on the dining table and little plastic pots kicking around.

What do you do to make your tomato seedlings have such sturdy stems? I've been lightly brushing mine once a day and occasionally putting a fan on low on them for 1/2 an hour or so every other day. Any tips?

Rasslin' worms is a really interesting project! You really get to know their likes and dislikes. Now I don't feel so bad for not using up all the vegetables in the fridge. My partner has once said that the worms eat better than we do!

sammy said...

It is a nice spot for plants, although it tends to get a bit crowded. It's tucked off to the side in our living room, but everyone turns a blind eye to my mess! They're used to it! I do the actual seeding in the kitchen, so there is usually a bucket of potting mix, and trays in there too.
As for stocky seedlings, I'm not sure what I do apart from putting them outside whenever possible, so they get a breeze. It could be partly because I handle them a lot. My brugs always have aphids indoors in the winter, it's a constant battle. And of course, some will try to jump to the seedlings, but I'm vigilant about picking them off. By the time they go outside, the ladybugs take care of the ones I may have missed.
Worms with personality, eh? We compost everything possible, but the castings would be a great additive to the garden, which is the main reason I've been thinking about it. Still have to get my hubby on board, though. The kids think it would be fun to have pet worms.